Augusta, WI ~ Buildings http://www.henninggallery.com/apps/photos/ Augusta, WI ~ Buildings Pepin Depot Pepin, WI http://www.henninggallery.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=101843389 101843389 http://www.henninggallery.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=59531300 59531300 Twilight Finale ~ Mabel Tainter Memorial Theater Story: As the soft rays of the setting sun bathe the beautiful theater, it's as if a show was preceeding outside with all the lovely ladies in their evening gowns escorted by distinguished gentlemen. All have come for the last show of the season. It will be a performance to be remembered . . . it will be a Twilight Finale. Available as: Lg signed prints 13x19 overall $40.00 8x10 signed prints $20.00 Blank Greeting cards $3.00 Each or 10 cards for $20.00 http://www.henninggallery.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=108564615 108564615 Autumn on dells pond Autumn on Dells Pond �2005 Story: The crisp feeling in the air has signaled the change in seasons. Here and there, small flocks of geese and other birds can be seen in their flight of migration to warmer climates. The long hot, humid summer is drawing to a close. The cool nights and comfortable warm days have lead to a color show of autumn foliage that is breath-taking. As if a giant paint brush has washed over the trees, turning shades of green to brilliant hues of reds, oranges and yellows. http://www.henninggallery.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=59531303 59531303 http://www.henninggallery.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=59531304 59531304 Fishing at the Dells Pond Fishing at Dells Pond �2007 Augusta, WI Story: A warm summer breeze lingers gently across the pond behind Dells Mill. Yes, there is such a thing as a lazy summer afternoon. Children on summer vacation, retirees, locals, and vacationers can take advantage of such a "sought" after day. To sit back and easily cast off your fishing line, to daydream while the red bobber floats effortlessly, dangling a shiny hook, trying to entice a fish to dinner. These days aren't gone, you just have to make the time and know a place like Dells Mill Pond just north of Augusta, WI on HWY 27. History: By the time the Civil War broke out in 1861, the establishment of a community on the Dells Mill site was well under way. The property consisted of 16 acres and contained "the mill, boarding house, school house and other buildings thereon." Of these, only the mill remains. The Dells Mill was operated as a flour and feed mill for over 100 years. The water from Bridge Creek was the only source of power ever used. In 1894, the mill was purchased by the Clark family and has remained in their possession to this day. In 1968, Dells Mill was converted into a museum although grinding is still done on special occasions. The mill building itself is a 5 story structure built of hand hewed timbers and held together by wooden pegs. It contains 3,000 feet of belting and 175 pulleys, all powered by water. Open May 1st thru October 31st. It is located 4 miles north of Augusta on HWY 27. This is available as 8 x 10 non-lithograph prints and 5 x 7 greeting cards http://www.henninggallery.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=59531305 59531305 Fun at the Fair, Augusta WI. http://www.henninggallery.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=59531306 59531306 http://www.henninggallery.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=59531310 59531310 Klinkert Sulky Racing Barn Klinkert Sulky Racing Barn copyright 2008 Racine, WI ~ Circa 1895 Story: A prominent businessman with his family is visiting the Klinkert barn, looking to purchase a young harness prospect to race next summer. Just off the track, heading back to the barn from a jog (to keep up training and keep in shape during the winter) comes a pretty 2 year mare that catches the gentleman?s eye, As the children play in the snow, the visitor will wait to speak to Mr. Klinkert?s barn manager as to the price on this mare and others. History: This Victorian Style horse barn was built in 1889 by Ernest Klinkert, President of Klinkert Brewery Company in Racine, WI. During the golden age of harness racing (1850 - 1900), there were numerous stables and oval race tracks in southeastern Wisconsin. Two enormous stables were owned by J.I. Case, founder of Case Tractors and the Uihlein brothers of Milwaukee?s Schlitz Brewery. The Klinkert barn is one of the only remaining examples of these harness racing barns. It can be seen at 4637 Lathrop Ave. Racine, WI. http://www.henninggallery.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=59531311 59531311 Milling the Harvest Milling the Harvest �2008 Dells Mill, Augusta, Wisconsin ~ circa 1890 Story; The summer's been long and hot and the work hard. As the season draws to an end, the harvest has begun. Bushels and bushels of corn, oats, and wheat will be prepared, stored and used over the winter. As the wagon loads of grain take their place in waiting to unload, the mill promises to be a busy place for months to come. History: By the time the Civil War broke out in 1861, the establishment of a community on the Dells Mill site was well under way. The property consisted of 16 acres and contained "the mill, boarding house, school house and other buildings thereon." Of these, only the mill remains. The Dells Mill was operated as a flour and feed mill for over 100 years. The water from Bridge Creek was the only source of power ever used. In 1894, the mill was purchased by the Clark family and has remained in their possession to this day. In 1968, Dells Mill was converted into a museum although grinding is still done on special occasions. The mill building itself is a 5 story structure built of hand hewed timbers and held together by wooden pegs. It contains 3,000 feet of belting and 175 pulleys, all powered by water. Open May 1st thru October 31st. It is located 4 miles north of Augusta on HWY 27. http://www.henninggallery.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=59531312 59531312 Opening Night Opening Night copyright 2003 Mabel Tainter Memorial Theater, Menomonie, Wisconsin ~ circa 1895 Story: As evening falls the soft glow from the beautiful windows of the theater send a warm invitation to all those passing by. Excitement has been building for several weeks with the anticipation of the great performance that is soon to begin on this Opening Night. History: The Mabel Tainter Memorial Theater was constructed in 1889 as a tribute to young Mabel Tainter, a lover of music and the arts, who died in 1886 at the age of nineteen. The Memorial was commissioned by Captain and Mrs. Andrew Tainter. Andrew was one of the lumber barons for Knapp, Stout & Co. The Memorial still serves today as a performing arts theater, public reading room and cultural center. The Memorial was constructed during the grand Victorian era, and no expense was spared. The exterior of the building is constructed of Dunnville sandstone quarried along the Red Cedar River southeast of the present village of Downsville. Harvey Ellis was the building's architect. In his designs, Ellis included the Moorish style of curved surfaces, combination of arches, and hand carved details framing the main entrance. The interior of the building contains hand stenciled walls and ceilings, marble staircase and floors, leaded stained glass windows, walnut and oak woodwork, brass fixtures and four fireplaces each built with a different stone or technique. The Mabel Tainter Theater still contains the original Steere & Turner tracker pipe organ. The organ has a total of 1597 pipes and 28 stops. The pipes range from 2 inches to 16 feet. The organ was originally water powered, but it was later converted to electric. The organ's restoration began in 1957 and since then has been fully restored. For more information you can go to www.mabeltainter.com http://www.henninggallery.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=59531313 59531313 Independence Town Hall, Independence, WI http://www.henninggallery.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=59531315 59531315 Schools of Learning Augusta, WI Schools of Learning �2008 Augusta, Wisconsin ~ circa 1897-1979 Story: The importance of education was realized by the early settlers of Augusta, and despite hardships and labors of the pioneer life, one of their first thoughts was the education of the youth of their community. History: The first school in Augusta was opened in 1857 and was located on the north side in a little board shanty. In 1859, a new school house was built near the present location of St. Paul's Lutheran Church. As the population grew, in 186 a new school with four departments was built (this was on the location where the community center is now), but was destroyed by fire about 1872. It was rebuilt with a few small buildings added close by. In 1903, the main part of what was the present building was built and was quite modern for its time. A part of this was destroyed by fire in 1921. Remodeling continued from 1921 till 1953 on the inside. In 1953, as the school was too small, a new building was erected for the Agriculture and Industrial Arts departments. 1955 saw a new gym and complete remodeling of the east wing with a kindergarten room added in the West Wing. Sadly, the school closed and was torn down in the late 70's to be replaced by a bigger school on the west edge of town (where the Fairgrounds once stood). This is available as a 8 x 10 lithograph and 5 x 7 greeting card. http://www.henninggallery.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=59531317 59531317 http://www.henninggallery.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=59531318 59531318 The Homecoming The Homecoming �2007 Story: AS the big snowflakes fall gently to the ground, the young married couple embrace for the first time in what seems as a long while. He has been away from home taking care of an ailing friend. In anticipation of his arrival, she came early. She has kept the home fires burning, tending to their home and the children. Now she is so very glad the train has brought him home, safe and sound in her arms again. History: This beautiful old style depot was built in Durand, WI in 1882. The Milwaukee Railroad serviced Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul, stopping at Durand on the way. It was used as a passenger train until 1957 and kept hauling freight until 1968. It has a narrow gauge track, which made it easier for passenger and freight cars to go around corners, but before it could pass through Durand and that strip to Nelson, all the wheels had to be changed from the regular wide gauge to the narrow gauge, which took time and maybe one reason why the RR was discontinued in 1968. (Special thanks to Bernard Brantner for the history on the depot.) This is available as 8 x 10 lithograph prints and 5 x 7 greeting cards http://www.henninggallery.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=59531321 59531321 Trip to Town, Augusta WI Trip to Town �2008 Augusta, WI ~ circa 1895 Story: It's Saturday, and the whole family has been waiting to make the trip to town. A little snow won't keep the horse from pulling the sleigh thru the soft drifts. The children will head to the variety store, Dad heads to the harness shop and later the feed mill, Mom needs sewing items and some staples from the food store. This was as good as it got, little money, but the family was together. History: In 1836, Wisconsin was created as a territory by President Jackson. Eau Claire County was created in 1856. French explorers were first to the region which was inhabited by the Ojibwa Indians (later called Chippewa). The lure of timber drew lumbermen who had to build a bridge across the creek that was so deep. This provided a name for the stream and the settlement, "Bridge Creek". In 1856. one of the earliest settlers was Charles Buckman and his wife. They pitched their tent on the site of what is now the Park House Inn and in 1857 changed the name of the village to Augusta (in honor of the capital of his home state, Maine). Community growth before the Civil War drew more settlers and businesses. The first flour mill and grist mill both started in 1859. The railroad and telegraph were brought to Augusta in 1869. The first newspaper started but ended shortly in 1870. Following the Civil War, newcomers were German and settled at the west edge of Augusta, which became known as "German Town" and was incorporated into the village in 1871. As time went on, most businesses transferred to Lincoln Street (HWY 12), center of today's business (moved up from flood plain by river). In 1885, the city of Augusta was created with four wards and in 1890 the Augusta Times newspaper started. This is available as 8 x 10 lithographs and 5 x 7 greeting cards. http://www.henninggallery.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=59531422 59531422 http://www.henninggallery.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=59531423 59531423 http://www.henninggallery.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=59531424 59531424 Winter in Augusta, WI Winter in Augusta, WI �2007 Story: Its mid-February and the snow has been lightly falling all morning. Seems like a good day to get caught up on shopping. Behind the Woodshed, (a business that sells Amish items and is located on Hwy 12 of Augusta, WI) and across the street stands a red shed. It was built to shelter the Amish horses and buggies that bring the Amish community into a Augusta to shop and do business. It seems many had the same idea. Augusta, WI is home to an Amish community of peaceful, hardworking people, who would be glad to talk or give you directions, but appreciate not being photographed. History: In 1693, a young Swiss Mennonite bishop who felt the church was losing its purity broke with his brethren and formed a new Christian fellowship. His name was Jacob Amman and his followers were nicknamed "Amish". The Amish live mainly in the United States but some groups are found in Canada, Guatemala, Belize, and several other countries. If you are not Amish then you are English. Please show kindness and always ask permission before photographing and Amish, they are a private people and many do not wish to have their image reproduced. This is available as an 8 x 10 lithograph and as 5 x 7 greeting cards. http://www.henninggallery.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=59531425 59531425